Thursday, October 9, 2008

Eudora Welty

I love Eudora Welty. I love her name-the sweet southern "almost gentility" of it; the house where she lived in Jackson, MS-left as she kept it, overflowing with stacks of books, books, and more books; and most of all - her stories. My favorite is The Ponder Heart and although I have not read everything she has written, I imagine it will always be my favorite. I just cannot think of how she could improve on The Ponder Heart

I intended to devote today's blog to The Ponder Heart but discovered, sadly, that it is no longer in its rightful place on my bookshelf. Its place is suspiciously  empty-as if someone had surreptitiously snatched it and hoped no one would notice the tiny little space it left. Yes, it is a small volume, in size but not in heart. In heart - it is a giant. But since I cannot quote from it or give you a true account from beginning to end of it - I am only left with my heart-impression. This slim work is filled with truth. Warm, humorous, southern truth. Don't miss it.

However, right next to that empty space sits One Writer's Beginnings by Eudora Welty. This autobiography is a lovely read and gives great insight into her mind and her life. If you are already a Welty fan, you'll enjoy this book. If you haven't met her yet, read it and get to know both her and life in MS in the early 1900s. (And if you are ever near Jackson, stop in at the Eudora Welty House - it's a booklover's treat. )

Enjoy-
Maggie* who needs a system for loaning out books!

2 comments:

Ta-Dah Mom said...

Would this story be appropriate for Miss Erica who is 12 and absolutely loves Elsie, Anne of Green Gables, and Pride and Prejudice?

Maggie Hogan said...

I think the ironic Southern humor and symbolism would be beyond a 12-year-old. Plus I would have to go back and check for content looking at it from a tween's eyes - pretty sure it would not be appropriate. However, she'd probably love I Capture the Castle - you might preview it first but even though there is a love interest - it isn't graphic or inappropriate.

Erica is 12???!!!! NO WAY! Give her a hug - not that she would remember me LOL!