Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Classic Book for Little Ones

Don't miss this classic:
A Hole is to Dig: A First Book of First Definitions
by Ruth Krauss and Pictures by Maurice Sendak
copyright 1952.
What is it about this little book that charms me every time I read it? I don't know what I enjoy more, the quirky definitions ("Mashed potatoes are to give everybody enough") or the lively little b & w illustrations that dance all over the page in a gleeful celebration of childhood. I adore this book! More quotes: "Dogs are to kiss people."
"Hands are to make things. Hands are to eat with. A tablespoon is to eat a table with."

Fortunately, it is still in print and readily available. Get it for a little someone you love.

1 comment:

Kim @ In Our Write Minds said...

Thanks for reminding me about this little book, Maggie! I look forward to checking back on future reviews. Even though my kids are grown, I do have a passel of grandkids who love books!

http://www.writeshop.com/blog