Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lorna Doone

Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore

For many years my only familiarity with Lorna Doone was that lovely buttery cookie that goes so well with hot tea. Oh, I knew there was a book by that name - I even had an old copy on my bookshelf - but I knew absolutely nothing about it. Finally one winter's day I picked it up and began reading. Fortunately for me, my copy had an extensive introduction which helped to me place the book in proper context as well as very-much-welcomed foot notes. [Oxford University Press, Edited by Sally Shuttleworth.] With the attitude of - well, I guess I can make it through this - I plowed in.

Originally published in 1869, Lorna Doone has remained in print ever since. In 1906 the [male] student body at Yale voted it to be their favorite novel. For despite the name, Lorna Doone is about a young man's coming-of-age. John Ridd, the rustic hero, narrates the story. The love of his life is Lorna Doone yet she remains a mostly enigmatic creature. John, however, we get to know quite well. His gentle humor and careful descriptions draw us into the story. Lorna Doone is set in the wilds of rural Exmoor, England in the 17th century at the time of the Monmouth Rebellion.

This book is worth reading for its language, its insight into the lives and minds of the time period, and its influence on later writers of importance (Hardy, Stevenson, and others). If you are not used to digging into long sentences often filled with archaic or unfamiliar terms this book will take a little effort to enjoy. But I found that once I put my mind to it and slowed down my reading - actually re-reading certain passages until I understood them - that I greatly enjoyed this novel. 

Mysterious, romantic, historical, intriguing: Lorna Doone, a worthwhile read.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I saw the movie awhile back...maybe by A&E? I loved it. Seeing your entry makes me want to take up the original:)

Maggie Hogan said...

I'd forgotten there have been movies made from this book! I need to catch one and compare it. Thanks for the heads up!